U.S. Transhumanist Party Virtual Enlightenment Salon
Carl Carlyle – 02.12.23
Episode 6 • 1h 48m
On Sunday, February 12, 2023, at 1 p.m. U.S. Pacific Time, the U.S. Transhumanist Party presents a conversation with Carl Carlyle, an immortalist activist whose longevity in the movement is among the greatest, spanning over six decades. This conversation was recorded on February 9, 2023. In it U.S. Transhumanist Party Chairman Gennady Stolyarov II, Ben Ballweg (Director of Longevity Outreach), and Art Ramon Garcia, Jr. (Director of Visual Art) delve with Carl into numerous areas of the early history of the longevity movement which deserve significantly greater public visibility. Subjects discussed include the following:
- The Student League for the Abolition of Mortality (SLAM), active on multiple college campuses in 1961, co-founded by Ted Goertzel (father of Ben Goertzel) and Gilbert Herman
- Hubert Humphrey's address to Congress in October 1962, calling for the scientific conquest of death
- The Research on Aging Act of 1974 and activism to persuade politicians to support it
- The work of scientists such as Dr. Joseph Hrachovec and Dr. Benjamin Schloss
- Project 1989, led by Ronald Bennett, Ph. D., in which Carl Carlyle served as Dr. Bennett's aide, and which successfully persuaded Mayor Tom Bradley of Los Angeles to support anti-aging research
- Johnny Forever, immortalist rock musician during 1978-1984
- Carl Carlyle's writings - including his short stories, musicals, and novels, such as "The Cosmic Mutant" trilogy
- What motivated Carl to be an immortalist
- Cultural perceptions of the pursuit of radical life extension, then and now
- The importance of continued activism and the U.S. Transhumanist Party's efforts to make inroads in politics for the cause of longevity
Carl Carlyle is an immortalist, musician, and writer. He graduated from UCLA in 1962 and later, while a student at Hastings Law College in San Francisco, he joined the Student League to Abolish Mortality, becoming an avid advocate for the scientific control of aging, life extension, and biological immortality ever since. Carl writes, “In the daytime, I wore a suit and tie and contacted politicians & business owners to get funding for the novel immortalist movement. At night, I formed a rock band called the Forever Maniacs and named myself ‘Johnny Forever’, singing rock songs about eternal youth and health. I also produced a musical in the 1990s called Boomers Rock Forever, a comedy about taboos and the emerging science of immortality. I published a sci-fi trilogy, The Cosmic Mutant, which tells the story of a love affair between Infinity and Eternity."
- "Why Immortality Matters To You" by Carl Carlyle - Essay in Immortalists Magazine - https://www.theimmortalistsclub.com/post/why-immortality-matters-to-you-by-carl-carlyle
- "Technohuman Immortality As Daily News" by Carl Carlyle - Essay in Immortalists Magazine - https://www.theimmortalistsclub.com/post/technohuman-immortality-as-daily-news-by-carl-carlyle
- The Cosmic Mutant Trilogy - Book 1 - "REPORT ON THE COSMIC MUTANT: A Tale of Immortals Fighting for Their Lives" - https://booklocker.com/books/10090.html
- The Cosmic Mutant Trilogy - Book 2 - "THE STAR REVOLT: We Celebrate Earth Day why not celebrate Star Day?" - https://booklocker.com/books/10091.html
- The Cosmic Mutant Trilogy - Book 3 - "THE COSMIC NIGHTMARE: Can Laughter Destroy The Universe?" - https://booklocker.com/books/11692.html
- "SLAM faces first test for immortality" - Article from February 17, 1961, shared by Ben Goertzel - https://twitter.com/bengoertzel/status/1606712270125690881/photo/1
- Hubert Humphrey's Speech to Congress, October 13, 1962 - "An Important Phase in World Medical Research: Let's Compete with the USSR in Research on Reversibility of Death" - http://www.defibrillation.ru/download/Congressional_Record,October_13,1962,A7837-A7839.pdf
Join the U.S. Transhumanist Party for free, no matter where you reside: https://transhumanist-party.org/membership
#USTranshumanistParty #VirtualEnlightenmentSalon #Immortalist #Longevity #LifeExtension #LifeExtensionActivism #Transhumanism #TranshumanistHistory #USTP
Up Next in 2023
Daniel Faggella – 02.05.23
On Sunday, February 5, 2023, at 1 p.m. U.S. Pacific Time, the U.S. Transhumanist Party invites Daniel Faggella to address the near-future of generative AI technologies, as well as how the wise application of artificial intelligence can help guide our transition into the Transhuman Era and avoid s...
Soushiant Zanganehpour – 01.29.23
On Sunday, January 29, 2023, at 1 p.m. U.S. Pacific Time, the U.S. Transhumanist Party invites Soushiant Zanganehpour to discuss emerging online tools for decentralized decision-making, such as the Swae platform.
Soushiant Zanganehpour is an Iranian-Canadian social scientist and entrepreneur. He...
Hereditary Religion & the Dangers of ...
On January 22, 2023, the U.S. Transhumanist Party invites panelists to discuss the dangers of religious indoctrination of children and the importance of freethought and allowing children and young adults the option to decide for themselves how to approach religion, if at all. The USTP Officers wi...